About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

A few of the many problems with the education system

Government brainwashing starts soon. Ugh.
Seriously, though. I've probably mentioned before that I have problems with the education system. As a person with Asperger's, the education system has often been against me.
I think that one of the most major flaws in the education system is that children are not seen as unique individuals, but rather as things to be taught so that the economy will be better in the future. Schools kill creativity and force hyper-conformity.
I remember when I was in kindergarten, and my teacher gave us a little book that we had to color pictures in. I distinctly remember her saying "don't color her hair blue and don't color her skin red, make her look like a normal girl." I asked my dad about it, and he said it was because the government likes to control people. I think I assumed he was joking. At the time, I was acting out violently in school, so I associated any dislike for the school with violence.
Teachers never listened to me, and they really needed to check their priorities. I remember that I didn't like going "under cover" during recess because it was loud and I didn't like the games the kids played there. I later found out that my parents had advocated for me, but that the teachers didn't care about my concerns, and felt that it was most important for me to socialize with other kids. Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen. Ever.
Teachers are also REALLY over-protective and weird when it comes to something that's even remotely violent. During recess, we weren't allowed to pretend to shoot guns or use lightsabers. There was even a student who got in legal trouble for writing a story where he shot a neighbor's pet dinosaur. I'm serious.
When I got older, the weirdness continued. In fact, it's still continuing. Sure, they've been a little less strict, but I've experienced the same over-protectiveness. In fact, just a few months ago, one of my teachers found out that I had a crush on a guy who was five years older than me (long story), and he asked me why I didn't just try liking his younger brother (who was in one of my classes). I wasn't planning on having a relationship with this guy or anything, and besides, you can't control who you like!
Lastly, students get in trouble for defending themselves when being attacked, while the attacker gets fewer consequences. I had a friend who was sexually harassed by a boy, and she got in serious trouble for hitting him, while he only got a lunch detention. One of my friends also told me that her brother was bullied, but that when he tried to defend himself, he got in trouble, and was targeted because he was larger than the people who were hurting him.
So... yeah. The public education system sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment