Note: This post will talk about sexual situations in a bit more detail than I usually do, but it won't describe the actual sexual acts.
I've complained before about Live Action demonizing BSDM. But New Wave Feminists shared one of their videos on Facebook and made a really good point: when a nurse was advising the fifteen-year-old on "safe words" to use during sex, she said "stop" is not a good word because some people will say "stop" even though they enjoy it. Um... rape culture, much?
Many liberal feminists speak out against rape culture, but they support Planned Parenthood, even though Planned Parenthood has done many questionable things regarding that issue. I will not get into all the details now, but I might blog about it in some other post.
Anyway, this made me think about some stuff. Now, I don't think it's a good idea for teenagers to be having sex of any sort, just so we're clear. I'm no expert on sex, but I do know that because of the nature of BSDM, the concept of "safe words" is extremely important. And I say that people can use whatever "safe words" they want. If "stop" works for them, that's fine! If they choose to say something else, that's fine, too. I honestly don't care what people do in the bedroom, as long as it's between consenting adults and doesn't involve animals or dead people. Even though there are certain sexual decisions I would never recommend (usually if it involves casual sex or anything that could be emotionally damaging), it's not my business what consenting adults do.
While I think it's good that Live Action is exposing Planned Parenthood's questionable tactics, I think that they should not do it in such a way that demonizes comprehensive sex education. Comprehensive sex education is a really good idea, but Planned Parenthood is doing it the wrong way.
No comments:
Post a Comment