I have two wings. The one on my right is feathered and the one on my left is like that of a bat. I'm the only person with two wings. All the others have chosen a favorite wing and cut the other off.
To my left, I see a town. Everyone is welcome. There are parks with trees and flowers, but there is so much ugliness otherwise. Everyone there keeps their left wing.
In that town, everyone is equal. Equally miserable, that is. Except for their leader. He lives in luxury, pretending to care about the people. He promised to bring peace, but the town is still at war. He promised to help the poor, but instead hurt everyone. He promised to give freedom, but instead took it away. People only hear what they want to hear.
In that town, there is a hospital. It's free, but no one is helped. Many die there in the name of choice. A woman walks in with her child, but only one comes out alive. A patient is killed because he is a burden on society, despite the town supposedly valuing equality. Doctors lie, people cry, and many die.
When I warn the people of their fate, they laugh and say "that will never happen."
To my right, I see a town. Very few are welcome. The sky is grey from pollution. Everyone there keeps their right wing, and everyone is armed.
In that town, some are treated better than others. To succeed, you need to be a certain way. No one is helped. The town is at war, the people are miserable, but hey, at least it's easier to detect their lies.
There is a church in that town. Everyone must go there because they're shunned if they don't. They believe in an infallible Bible, but they emphasize the verses that deny truth and encourage hate. They create God in their own image: hateful, angry, and jealous. They only hear what they want to hear.
If a person breaks the law, the punishments are harsh. They fight for the right to life, but they wish to speed up executions. They do many things to their enemies, but being kind is not one of those things.
When I warn the people of their fate, they glare at me and say "you will burn in hell."
Both sides agree for once: I am a threat. They take out their guns and shoot me.
I thought there was nowhere to go, but I was wrong. I spread my wings and fly away to a land above where individuals are respected.
No comments:
Post a Comment