Words and phrases that have been twisted thanks to political rhetoric: family, choice, human rights, social justice, helping the poor, feeding the hungry, marriage, freedom, liberty, offensive, inappropriate, immoral, women's rights, culture, racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, trigger, tolerance, acceptance, diversity, and just about everything else you can possibly think of.
Political correctness is killing comedy and creativity. Donald Trump is killing kindness. I am proud to say that I don't support killing.
Personally, I have mixed feelings [about using artificial womb environments and womb transplants). I mean, it's not meant to kill (unlike abortion), and if done successfully, it would reconcile the life of the unborn child and the freedom of the pregnant person. It could also be advantageous to those who are likely to have miscarriages. At the same time, I can see how it may cause complications and it certainly raises ethical concerns. Also, given what I know about transplants and stuff like that, I think a real womb would be better than some strange one. I would certainly support it in cases where the health of the mother and/or baby is at risk, but I'm not sure where to draw the line. If someone chose to do that for non-medical reasons, it wouldn't violate the non-aggression principle in the way abortion does, but it would be morally questionable because it's not the ideal environment for an unborn child to be in.
[On the LDS church's policy regarding children of gay parents] That's
really, really, really effed up. Sure, this all was decided by those in
charge of the church, but they aren't perfect. The church used to have
the policy that black people can't have the priesthood, so how can we
say the prophet is always right about what God wants? They're people
just like us. Even if homosexuality is a sin, it's not the kids' fault
that they have two moms or two dads. Tearing
apart families with same-sex parents and excluding their children is
NOT "pro-family." In fact, it's the exact opposite. If you want to
defend the family, protest abandonment and abuse (abortion also falls
under the latter category, if you want to be controversial). Those are
huge problems in our society. And I thought the church was moving
forward on LGBTQ issues... I guess not. There's a guy in my ward who's
gay, and I don't want him to be more isolated from his peers. I don't
want that kid with the two moms in that predominately Mormon
neighborhood to be excluded. I don't gay youth to be disowned by their
parents. I don't want gay people to commit suicide. I don't want
families to be torn apart because their family is gay. So tell me more
about how I'm disintegrating the family and you're trying to defend it. I
dare you. Even if homosexuality is a sin, that doesn't matter as much
as the fact that people are dying or having their lives ruined. Jesus
taught that our love for God and for our fellow humans is more important
than following the Law of Moses. Yes, the Law of Moses has been
fulfilled, but we have created Law of Moses 2.0 because so many people
won't bother to follow the Higher Law, although they are so quick to
enforce laws about what you can and can't do (even if they don't
actually follow them). You can love someone without agreeing with them,
but when you constantly remind them that they (or those around them) are
wrong, you have no time to love them.
|
Smart guys don't go for dumb girls. If they did, they wouldn't be smart.
Personally, I think those costumes based on ethnic stereotypes are kind of weird. Not necessarily offensive, just kind of ridiculous. I mean, what does it even mean to be dressed as a Mexican? It's not like a person is defined by their race or ethnicity. I'm part Swedish, and I don't wear traditional Swedish clothing. On the other hand, it really drives me crazy when people get offended about costumes that are *inspired* by certain cultures. There's kind of a difference between dressing as a (stereotypical) Japanese person and dressing as, say, a samurai, and I think people need to learn that difference. Of course, I would never want to limit someone's freedom of expression, even if their costume is truly offensive, and what people need to realize is that there's a difference between thinking something's offensive and thinking something should be illegal. If I say something about freedom of speech in front of my politically correct liberal friends, they think I'm condoning offensive speech, and if I say that something is offensive in front of my libertarian and conservative friends, they think I'm trying to limit their freedom of speech. That's ridiculous. Yes, you have the freedom to say what you want, but I also have the freedom to call you out on it.
Tumblr is so petty.
Keep in mind that I dislike most popular things, am not obsessed with
Disney, and that I like to watch movies like Corpse Bride. Let that sink
in. Seriously, anyone who hates Frozen is either sick of their own
children or has been watching too many slasher movies to appreciate
anything without blood and guts. Objectively, there is no good reason to
hate Frozen.
(On how people are sick of Frozen) Nobody has gotten sick of Marvel, even though there's a new movie,
like, every year. Conclusion: society looks down upon movies once they
become popular among young girls.
|
If there's one thing I hate, it's people who obsess over something and
then start hating it when it becomes cool among people they don't like.
Yeah, I think dressing up as a Mexican is kind of offensive, because
what does that even mean? I don't know any Mexicans who dress like that.
I mean, when was the last time you saw me wearing a sverigedräkten? And
yes, it is bad when people are racist against the people while using
aspects of their culture, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's racist
to use aspects of other cultures in all cases
(for example, rock and roll has been whitewashed a lot, even though
many African-American musicians were pioneers in the genre, but that
doesn't mean it's bad for white people to play rock and roll). I don't
want people to get on my case whenever I use a culture that isn't my own
in any way, shape, or form, just because people of my race have been
oppressive. If any use of another culture is considered culture
appropriation, it only isolates "other cultures" from Western culture,
implying that white people are the default. Also, if cultural exchange
never happened, the world would be a really boring place.
I hate it when people get cultural appropriation confused with cultural
exchange. The idea that what's really just cultural exchange is a bad
thing only encourages segregation and collectivism. Sure, there are
people who make fun of other cultures, and that sucks, but the very act
of using imagery from another culture should not be followed by
accusations of cultural appropriation because frankly, most people who
do that don't have malicious intent. And don't get me started on those
people who don't want me to eat Vietnamese food because of the acts of
some white people... If I couldn't eat Vietnamese food, my life would
suck.
I swear, if this trend of accusing people of cultural appropriation
continues, I won't be able to wear my beautiful sugar skull shirt
again... which is a shame because I made it myself and now people think
it's cultural appropriation. Dude, it's self-expression! It's my own
art!
Cooking with pro-choicers: "Raw cookie dough can't be delicious because
it hasn't been cooked yet. Besides, it can cause salmonella." What
killjoys. And not the cool ones with laser guns.
No comments:
Post a Comment