About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Supreme Court respects students' right to free speech to some extent, but not so much their right to be free from another person's aggression

Although the Supreme Court does not protect students' First Amendment rights completely (e.g. Morse v. Fredrick), it does protect them in cases of political and religious expression. Tinker v. Des Moines, for example, ruled that students should be allowed to express their political views if it's not too distracting. West Virginia v. Barnette ruled that students shouldn't have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Of course, I support these two rulings completely.
However, I sense some hypocrisy here, as the Supreme Court seems to care very little about protecting students from the aggression of others. Ingraham v. Wright ruled that corporal punishment in public schools is not unconstitutional, and that the Eighth Amendment does not apply to students who misbehave. This is wrong for a million reasons. The most obvious reason is that corporal punishment violates the non-aggression principle. But since the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution, consider that these are public schools, and that the Supreme Court protects students' First Amendment rights through the Fourteenth Amendment. So why not the Eighth? The Supreme Court has a very loose interpretation of the Eighth Amendment even for criminals, but in cases where the criminal will not be put to death, they are treated better than students who misbehave. And what exactly does a student have to do for corporal punishment to be a consequence? I highly doubt that what they do is anywhere near as bad as what violent criminals do.Also, since these are public schools, parental “rights” aren’t even an issue here, so the only case to be made for corporal punishment in schools is “I’m living in the 1950’s and I have outdated views on psychology.” Not that the 1950’s were all bad (I love the aesthetics and the music associated with that decade), but in terms of how people were treated, it was in the dark ages.
Eff the Supreme Court. Eff anyone who thinks hitting children is acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment