Now I know why Gerard is allergic to cats: if I saw him holding a cat, my brain would explode because of all the cuteness.
Note to anyone who has an opinion on abortion: stop insisting on calling the opposing side something other than their preferred name (you know, pro-abortion, anti-choice, anti-life, pro-death, anti-woman, baby killer, misogynist, etc). I don't care who it's coming from! It makes you sound insufferable, like a politician who resorts to name-calling.
When will people learn that criticizing Islamic extremism is not the same as being "Islamophobic?"
Better yet, when will people learn that tolerance is not the most important thing in existence? Take critics of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, for example. Yes, some of the things she's said have been a bit extreme (although she's become more moderate in recent years), but given what she's experienced, can you really blame her for being hostile? If her oppressors were Christians, left-wingers would most likely applaud her for speaking out, even though the actions of the oppressors would not represent the entire religious group in either case. But if promoting "tolerance" and "acceptance" is more important to you than ending female genital mutilation (or whatever it may be), you are part of the problem. If her activism saves even one girl, it should be of extremely low importance whether or not people are offended. Give her a break. Inalienable rights are far more important than your feelings.
Since [a local ice cream place] isn't selling their blood pudding ice cream anymore, would anyone be willing to donate some of their blood so I can make my own? Pig blood would be even better, but I doubt any of you would be able or willing to donate that. And since humans taste like pork (according to some cannibals), the blood probably won't taste that much different, right?
Gerard Way is more beautiful than me. And that's saying something because I'm pretty darn attractive.
Men's rights activist (MRA) logic: "Feminists are always playing the victim, and by doing so they're taking away MUH RIGHTS!!! I'm being oppressed!!! If they really support equal rights, they should stop focusing on women and focus on us instead!"
Tumblr feminist logic: "Feminism should be more inclusive rather than just focusing on the rights of white, heterosexual, able-bodied, middle class, cisgender women!!! Now if you're going to tell us about how women are treated in those so-called third-world countries, SHUT UP!!! You don't really care about those women!!! You're just trying to distract people from the real issue at hand, which is our lack of access to free birth control!!!"
Seriously, whatever happened to MY brand of feminism???
Dear pro-life religious conservatives,
Please stop assuming that all pro-lifers are like you. Stop adding anti-gay protests to websites specifically meant for listing pro-life events. Stop assuming we're all devout Christians. Stop assuming we're all Republicans. Not only is it annoying for unconventional pro-lifers, but it's really not helping. I mean, if you're only using religious arguments, you're basically preaching to the choir. Do you really think you're going to change someone's mind by preaching to them, if they aren't part of your religion? There are some very compelling secular arguments against abortion. USE THEM.
--A pro-lifer who also happens to be libertarian, feminist, pro-LGBT+, pro-contraception, and uninterested in organized religion
Learning about government in a public school is like taking a music class taught by Justin Bieber.
But nooooooooooooo, my parents don't want me to have a quality education!
Part of me wishes there were more people my age who shared my taste in music and clothing. The other part of me likes being different.
Dear so-called libertarians,
Being a libertarian does NOT require you to be a sexist douchebag who feels like they're being oppressed because (gasp) there's no special treatment for white, straight, rich, able-bodied, cisgender men. Believing in equal rights is not the same as being the oversensitive statist you don't want to be. Just stop defending the actions of cat-callers, accused rapists, lazy men who feel entitled to free sandwiches (sound familiar?), and the Confederates.
Sincerely,
A libertarian who cares about social justice without being weird about it
P.S. No, I'm not telling you to believe that accused rapists are "guilty until proven innocent." I'm telling you not to jump to conclusions.
P.P.S. I saw a thing that said something along the lines of "a libertarian woman will make you a sandwich." No, a libertarian woman will decide for herself whether or not she'll make you a freaking sandwich! C'mon, sandwiches are NOT an entitlement! You should know this!
Pro-lifers: There are plenty of compelling, secular arguments against abortion, and all you can do is talk about how God hates it? That may work when encouraging Christians to take action, but if you're trying to reach out to EVERYONE, you're going to have a hard time.
Libertarians: It would be really great if you showed some sympathy toward people who have an underprivileged status. No, this does not mean you have to support government welfare, affirmative action, or political correctness. It just means you shouldn't have a "survival of the fittest" mentality, tell mentally ill people to "just deal with it," tell women who are sexually harassed that they should be flattered, or take the side of the Confederates just because the Civil War was unjust.
Feminists: If feminism only requires one to believe in gender equality, act like it. Be more inclusive. Also, pick your battles wisely and stop obsessing over vaginas.
Yes, what I'm about to list is actually possible:
1. You can be considerate without being oversensitive.
2. You can oppose hateful speech without wanting to make it illegal.
3. Asking for help does not make you lazy or weak.
4. When dealing with mental illness, others must be understanding of your needs. A huge part of dealing with it involves facing your problems in a way that is healthy. But it's easier said than done.
5. Educating others on human rights violations using graphic imagery may be acceptable in some settings. Right by an elementary school is not one of them. No, I am not more worried about the comfort levels of other people than I am about the natural rights of those who are suffering.
#IfIWereAStatist almost all of my friends would be in jail, even for something totally minor that annoyed me
Some
people (mostly conservative Christians): "Bakeries have the right to
refuse to bake cakes for gay weddings because religious freedom!! Oh,
wait, Office Depot won't print a pro-life pamphlet? DISCRIMINATION!!"
Other people (mostly liberals): "Bakeries have to bake cakes for gay weddings because if they don't, that's discrimination!! But Office Depot has the freedom to avoid participation in anti-choice propaganda!" Me: "Businesses can make their own decisions regarding this sort of thing. As someone who is pro-life AND pro-LGBT, I strongly disagree with their decisions, but it's not like baking wedding cakes and printing fliers are considered public accommodations, and I assume there are other ways people can access that stuff." |
I voted that MCR isn't emo because I actually do my research rather than believing everything people say.
Although Gerard Way has decided to "own" the emo label, even though it's totally inaccurate in comparison to other emo bands.
So...
I was searching for goth senior portraits, you know, as inspiration for
my senior picture... I just found a lot of pictures of old goth people.
|
I
just found an internet poll that asked what the worst rock band was...
and My Chemical Romance was one of the options, along with freaking
Nickelback and Coldplay.
Whoever made that poll must be the same person who thought only having sex at night was a good form of birth control because the sperm are asleep... |
I'm
sick of people shaming people they consider overweight. Not only is it
rude, but shouldn't that be between a person and their doctor? There are
a million different factors contributing to a person's weight, and not
all of them are in their control.
"But plus-size models encourage an unhealthy lifestyle!" Yeah, the same way One Direction encourages poor dental health. Implying that there's only one way to be beautiful is wrong, but saying "eff your beauty standards" is not the same thing. "I just don't find fat people attractive, okay?!" Beauty is subjective. There are lots of people I don't find attractive, but I'm not running Facebook pages about how they need to get plastic surgery, am I? In other words, get a life and focus on your own problems unless someone specifically comes to you for help. |
I just wish the mainstream feminist movement would act on that. Lots of people are excluded from the feminist movement, either because mainstream feminism ignores them or because mainstream feminists are like "you can't be a feminist if you're not exactly like us!" It's messed up.
You can criticize my views all you want, as long as you have valid arguments to make against them.
Claiming that I hate women, people of color, the poor, the disabled, LGBT+ people, religious people, liberty, equal rights, creativity, logic, the environment, puppies, Big Bird, or whatever does not count as a valid argument. Because I don't.
For example...
This is okay: "I disagree. I think acting on the ideas you just listed would cause harm to _____. Here's why..."
This is not okay: "HOW COULD YOU SUPPORT/OPPOSE THAT??? YOU EFFING _____-HATER!!!!!11111"
This is the problem with explaining my taste in music to others. Nobody knows or cares about the difference between My Chemical Romance and the other dark stuff I listen to because to them, it's all the same.
Dear mainstream pro-life movement,
You're not going to do any good if all your arguments are based on religion and conservative values, and you're definitely not going to do any good if you don't reach out to people who don't fit that conservative Christian mold. Also, please don't use Comic Sans on your billboards. --A pro-life libertarian, feminist, secular, aspie, alternative, and otherwise unconventional pro-life artist who dislikes Comic Sans
Someone on the internet compared My Chemical Romance to the Jonas
Brothers... Is this the same person who thought humans could walk on the
sun if it was nighttime?
After watching [Corpse Bride], I still can't believe that Wallace and Gromit won
the award for best animated movie. Wallace and Gromit was good, don't
get me wrong, but from an artistic standpoint, Corpse Bride was a better
movie.
I don't hate Twilight and One Direction because teenage girls supposedly
like them (that would be somewhat hypocritical because I'm a teenage
girl). I hate them because I find them to be of poor quality (not to
mention the harmful messages in Twilight). But I think there's a lot of
truth to the idea that femininity isn't considered as "valuable" by
society. I like fashion, and a lot of people think that's stupid. Heck,
even My Chemical Romance is given a hard time partly because the
majority of their fans are/were teenage girls, and they're definitely
not in the same category as, say, One Direction. Of course, that's not
the only reason, but still...
He makes a good point about the Constitution being imperfect, but I
think the 2nd Amendment has a lot of importance. Not because I own a
gun, and certainly not because I believe in killing people, but because
people have the right to defend themselves. A sign that says "gun free
zone" is not going to stop a mass shooting any more than road signs are
going to prevent car crashes. The other thing is
that most gun control advocates make an exception for the police, which
will only worsen the police state. Never forget that people who work
for the government are just as flawed as we are, and that they may abuse
their power. So many people are passionate about ending police
brutality, and yet they trust the police with guns more than they trust
law-abiding citizens with guns. I cannot consistently oppose police
brutality if they're the only people I trust with guns. There is nothing
about working for the government that guarantees a person's morality.
Hey, I was inspired by [worksheets]... inspired to fight this stupid education system!
(In response to that "pro-life bake sale" tweet that's been going around the Internet) Cooking with pro-choicers: "Raw cookie dough can't be delicious because
it hasn't been cooked yet. Besides, it can cause salmonella." What
killjoys. And not the cool ones with laser guns.
(In response to Bill Nye's video about abortion) Guess what, Bill Nye... last I checked, the Bible never explicitly
stated that life begins at conception. That's the embryology textbook
you're thinking of. All the Bible says is that murder is wrong, and
that's something that any decent person should agree with, regardless of
their religion.
I struggle with mental illness, and there are topics that are triggering
for me. Still, I value the importance of knowledge and critical
thinking. I've seen trigger warnings for the mere mention of a topic
(which makes zero sense to me) and for descriptions of opposing
viewpoints, and the latter seems to be more about censorship. Thing is,
unawareness of injustice isn't going to stop it, and I value the rights
of the oppressed more than the feelings of the easily offended. This
doesn't mean I'll show graphic abortion images next to an elementary
school, or describe the specifics of female genital mutilation at the
dinner table, but censoring such topics in an educational setting is
harmful.
You forgot the most important part: the police must enforce the law WITH GUNS! Even though police officers are oppressive, racist, and violent, we trust them more with guns than we trust our next door neighbor, who brought cookies over to us. In cases of police brutality, we can just call the cops, right?
I get what you're saying, and I agree that unborn babies are alive
(that's a scientific fact, not an ideological opinion). However, science
is clear that a new organism is created at conception, but the egg and
sperm don't separate when we die. There are at least six traits that
determine if something is alive, and the unborn have all of these traits
in some way or another. And nobody looks at a human
embryo that will grow into a human adult and then insists that it's,
say, an alpaca. Unborn babies are also distinct organisms, as opposed
to, say, human skin cells, which may be the most important thing to
consider. I mean, I highly doubt anyone mourns the death of human skin
cells. If something is a human organism, it has the right to life. Okay,
now I'm just rambling, and I need to go to the dinner table now.
The only thing keeping me alive, even if I'm only barely surviving, is
the opportunity to meet Gerard Way. I can't do that if I'm dead. As
insufferable as I may seem to all of you, I feel like Gerard would
actually listen if he had the time. I mean, if he admires Morrissey, I'm
sure he could at least tolerate me. I've messed up in ways he hasn't,
he's messed up in ways I haven't, and we share a lot
of the same problems, but we're both messed up. So far I haven't killed
anyone, and I've come a long way from being that kid who acted out
violently on a regular basis. Now I fight with my words, and let's be
honest, I can be mean at times. But who isn't? If I can't change my
situation, why should I change my behavior? Even if I were obedient, it
wouldn't change that people are trying to make me conform to their
(usually unreasonable) expectations. Right now, they are failing, but as
soon as I follow their rules, I am giving in to their pressure. The way
I see it, I can either accept that I will most likely never be free, or
I can fight it. I'm not one to accept the things I supposedly cannot
change. I will accept that I alone cannot change everything, but I want
to change what I cannot accept. Well-behaved women rarely make history,
and I only live once (not including the afterlife), so why must I live
the conventional way? I'll never succeed at being normal, so why should I
pretend to be something I'm not, only to be forgotten after I die? I'm
sick of it.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment