- It violates the non-aggression principle.
- It is extremely unhelpful in teaching children to make moral decisions. Rather than having a consequence that makes sense with the behavior, it just sends the message that "if I see you do that one more time, I will beat you." For example, if a child steals something from the store, it would make more sense to make the child give it back and/or pay for it than it would to hit them.
- It sends the message that the only reason people should make moral decisions is to avoid a harsh punishment. Thing is, people do bad things without getting caught all the time, and innocent people may be wrongfully punished. It teaches blind trust for authority, and that's not okay.
- Or, in my case, it did the exact opposite. See, if some authority figure were to hit me, my response would not be "oh great master, I respect you." It would be more like this (excuse the mild language):
That's Not Fair!: Helping Children to Make Their Moral Decisions by Larry C. Jensen was one book I read that supported some of the points I have made. I'd recommend it, but this book is 38 years old and nearly impossible to find. My grandma owns a copy of it, so that's how I know it exists.
No comments:
Post a Comment