About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Sweetness Has Just Become Bitter (poem)

Miranda, I went there like you asked me to. I went because I love you. I never went before and I will never go again. For now I know the extent of the intolerance in our religion and the blind obedience of the youth. He quoted Isaiah, "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter." He talked about acceptance of homosexuality and what a problem it was in today's world.
His words hurt me, Miranda. A tear rolled down my cheek. How could he call love evil and intolerance good? He went against the very words that he had said.
I tried to talk it out, but I couldn't tell her the truth. I couldn't tell her that I was in love with you. I just told her that it was a difficult topic for me. She tried to comfort me and she meant well, but it's hard to comfort someone when you're also trying to convert them to your beliefs.
In the meantime, I served the refreshments.
Miranda, I heard you say some things about gay people. I'm not sure what you said, but it didn't sound good. I love you Miranda, but you will never love me. You'd probably be disgusted by my feelings for you.
Miranda, when I cried, I wished you would notice and try to comfort me. Maybe tell me that you didn't believe him anyway. But I could only hope. Even if you wanted to help me, would you be brave enough?
Miranda, I wonder if you're really wearing a mask. That you want to accept, but you also want to conform to your religion. If so, I could help you conquer your fear of your beliefs.
Miranda, I tried to drink my root beer float, but I couldn't. That evening had just turned sweetness bitter.


Based on a true story. Name has been changed.
For clarification, I went to a bishop-youth discussion in 2012. I don't normally go to these things; I think maybe I went because my crush (at the time), "Miranda" reminded us to go near the end of church and I wanted to see her. Anyway, the bishop was speaking to us, and the topic of sexual orientation came up. He was talking about how people were supporting it in the name of diversity and how wrong it was. This offended me for obvious reasons. What's worse is that I'm the kind of person who NEEDS to talk about how I feel, but I didn't want to tell anyone the full story, so I just said it was a difficult subject for me.
Also, the scripture used is Isaiah 5:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment