I know, I broke my rule about not sharing articles from Daily Mail (I will never forgive them for dissing My Chemical Romance!). But this is absolutely disgusting.
I wish mainstream feminism were more vocal about these sorts of human rights violations. This is a huge reason why I became a feminist, and yet mainstream feminism does little to help the girls and women who are most in need of help.
I'm totally against censorship, but I don't see why people are so upset that certain books are not in schools or public libraries. It's not like they're obligated to stock every book in existence! Sure, it's ridiculous to ban, say, Harry Potter, because of witchcraft, or to ban Catcher in the Rye for explicit language, but is it really censorship to (gasp) not stock pornography in a school library? If people want to access porn, they can look elsewhere (I'd still strongly discourage it, mind you). If a government completely banned and criminalized the ownership of certain media (you know, media that isn't child pornography), I would be outraged. But is it really a bad thing if a school library refuses to stock Fifty Shades of Grey?
(After sharing something where someone is debunking myths about sex) Someone says some things that are scientifically accurate, and then they ruin it with a statement about [abortion not being the destruction of a fetus, but of] a "clump of cells." Um... hellooooooo, fetus is actually a scientific term for that "clump of cells" you speak of (and technically, aren't we all clumps of cells?). It's one thing to deny fetal personhood (not that I agree with those who do), but it's another to deny a scientific fact. That is not comprehensive sex education, and it is no better than "abstinence only" education. Comprehensive sex education should be factual, but so many people who advocate for it want to bring their ideology into it. Is it really any better than public schools telling students that premarital sex is sinful? Heck, here's an even better analogy: what if a biology teacher said that eating meat does not require the death of an animal, but of a "clump of cells?" Would I be an extremist if I said that was ridiculous? Would I even have to be a vegetarian to say it's ridiculous? Of course not. I ate a hamburger today, and I'm not going around insisting it wasn't a cow, but a clump of cells. (I'm not implying that unborn children are equal to cows, BTW.)
#ForTheEmbryologyTextbookTellsMeSo
Me, before the breakup of MCR: "I'm not choosing favorites here! I like everyone in the band! They're all cool! It's just that I talk about Gerard the most, okay?"
Me, after the breakup of MCR: "Yeah, Gerard's my favorite. So what? That said, Mikey is pretty awesome, too... it must run in the family."
I don't really talk about spiritual stuff that often on social media, unless you count the occasional status about church (which I have a love-hate thing with... most of the love is because there are some awesome people there). None of this intended to be preachy.
Anyway, this isn't about me. This is Gerard Way's personal approach to spirituality, just in case any of you are interested. Although this doesn't *completely* reflect my personal beliefs (e.g. I've never imagined God as an imaginary J-pop star and definitely not as an intergalactic space worm), I think a lot of this is beautiful. I've thought about the possibility of the creation of MCR being inspired by God, and honestly, I almost always thank God for Gerard in my personal prayers. Yeah, I know a lot of you are thinking "cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo," but whatever.
Also, for all you grammar Nazis, he did not check his spelling, so that might be offensive to you regardless of your spiritual beliefs (although in my opinion, you might be the offensive one because you discriminate against people with bad grammar!).
I'm voting in the next presidential election, and so far, I support nobody. Maybe nobody should be president because nobody will value our freedom. (See the Facebook page Nobody for President)
"I hate _____. It's too mainstream."
Um... yeah... because completely conforming to the style associated with nonconformity makes you an individual. I see.
It's not a sin to like things that are considered mainstream, so long as you like them because they're good and not because they're mainstream. Liking something based on its popularity or resemblance to what's popular (or lack thereof) is ridiculous. It's kind of the same way I can enjoy the fries at Five Guys even though I really love the truffle fries at (name of local burger restaurant omitted).
I'll admit, I may be less likely to try certain things if they're really mainstream (assuming I haven't heard anything really awesome about it), but if something's awesome, it's awesome. For example, I think Frozen is cool (no pun intended), but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy, say, Jan Svankmajer's Alice.
In other words, criticize something mainstream because it sucks, not because it's mainstream.
So... I can't go white water rafting AND wear petticoats? Well, obviously not at the same time, but still. xD
Most annoying misconception [about emo music]? Probably that MCR can't be any good just because they're associated with some very untalented music artists. Also, that if I like them, I'm automatically a poser.
(After taking a political test and being labeled a "left libertarian") Well, [this quiz is] right about the libertarian thing, and I do tend to be more culturally liberal. As for economic issues, I don't like the "survival of the fittest" attitude, but I'm very much in favor of individual rights (as opposed to collectivism). So... yeah. (Note: later on, when I was commenting on some online forum, I typed this: "is it possible to have individual rights without poverty?")
Dear government,
Those books about corrupt governments in a dystopian future were not meant to be instruction manuals.
Signed,
A person who actually cares about her constitutional rights
If a girl character has all these awesome traits and very few weaknesses, she's a Mary Sue.
If a guy character has all these awesome traits and very few weaknesses, he's Superman.
Sexist double standard? Or just a coincidence?
For the record, I prefer characters with weaknesses other than kryptonite, but I think the war on Mary Sue is kind of annoying. It's like, if my character has even one cliched trait, she's a Mary Sue. Ugh.
As someone with Asperger's, I can say this: it does not necessarily offend me when people use words that may have referred to disabilities 100 years ago ("dumb," "idiot," etc). This is assuming you're not insulting a person for something out of their control.
What offends me is when people act like we don't matter. They say we're a burden on society. They expect us to conform to their extreme standard of "normal," while telling everyone else to express themselves. They speak of the possibility of eradicating Down Syndrome through selective abortion like they would talk about the polio vaccine. They forget that the bioethical issues they talk about involve people. And worst of all, people act on those beliefs. Which outrages me.
I'm all for gender equality, but... if the military draft becomes a thing within my lifetime, I'm going to move to another planet. That, or find some other way to avoid the draft.
In the first issue in volume three of Life Matters Journal, there's a really interesting article called "Reflections on the Women's Peace Encampment" that mentions this issue. Gender equality should be about unalienable rights, not equal misery. Including women in the draft would not be a victory for women's rights; it would be an act of force. Worse, it's a matter of life and death, both for the draftee and possibly the civilians associated with the other side.
I've decided that in 2019, I'm going to dress like my Killjoy OC and nothing will stop me! Anyone interested in joining me?
To anyone who thinks heavy metal is satanic just because it's loud, please read Psalm 150. It says we should praise God with stringed instruments and loud cymbals. Just saying. :)
"Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this." (Ecclesiastes 7:10)
Let that sink in, conservative Christians...
Look, I think the war on drugs is ridiculous, but you know what else is ridiculous? Acting like pot is harmless and/or the only way to have fun.
#IfIWereAStatist I'd ban most popular music.
#IfIWereAStatist I'd make it illegal for couples to go out in public until the honeymoon phase was over. Be glad that I'm not one to ban everything I dislike. Unlike some people I know...
#IfIWereAStatist I'd tax everyone so I could pay Gerard to have a concert in my area.
Me, before the breakup of MCR: "I'm not choosing favorites here! I like everyone in the band! They're all cool! It's just that I talk about Gerard the most, okay?"
Me, after the breakup of MCR: "Yeah, Gerard's my favorite. So what? That said, Mikey is pretty awesome, too... it must run in the family."
I don't really talk about spiritual stuff that often on social media, unless you count the occasional status about church (which I have a love-hate thing with... most of the love is because there are some awesome people there). None of this intended to be preachy.
Anyway, this isn't about me. This is Gerard Way's personal approach to spirituality, just in case any of you are interested. Although this doesn't *completely* reflect my personal beliefs (e.g. I've never imagined God as an imaginary J-pop star and definitely not as an intergalactic space worm), I think a lot of this is beautiful. I've thought about the possibility of the creation of MCR being inspired by God, and honestly, I almost always thank God for Gerard in my personal prayers. Yeah, I know a lot of you are thinking "cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo," but whatever.
Also, for all you grammar Nazis, he did not check his spelling, so that might be offensive to you regardless of your spiritual beliefs (although in my opinion, you might be the offensive one because you discriminate against people with bad grammar!).
I'm voting in the next presidential election, and so far, I support nobody. Maybe nobody should be president because nobody will value our freedom. (See the Facebook page Nobody for President)
"I hate _____. It's too mainstream."
Um... yeah... because completely conforming to the style associated with nonconformity makes you an individual. I see.
It's not a sin to like things that are considered mainstream, so long as you like them because they're good and not because they're mainstream. Liking something based on its popularity or resemblance to what's popular (or lack thereof) is ridiculous. It's kind of the same way I can enjoy the fries at Five Guys even though I really love the truffle fries at (name of local burger restaurant omitted).
I'll admit, I may be less likely to try certain things if they're really mainstream (assuming I haven't heard anything really awesome about it), but if something's awesome, it's awesome. For example, I think Frozen is cool (no pun intended), but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy, say, Jan Svankmajer's Alice.
In other words, criticize something mainstream because it sucks, not because it's mainstream.
So... I can't go white water rafting AND wear petticoats? Well, obviously not at the same time, but still. xD
Most annoying misconception [about emo music]? Probably that MCR can't be any good just because they're associated with some very untalented music artists. Also, that if I like them, I'm automatically a poser.
(After taking a political test and being labeled a "left libertarian") Well, [this quiz is] right about the libertarian thing, and I do tend to be more culturally liberal. As for economic issues, I don't like the "survival of the fittest" attitude, but I'm very much in favor of individual rights (as opposed to collectivism). So... yeah. (Note: later on, when I was commenting on some online forum, I typed this: "is it possible to have individual rights without poverty?")
Dear government,
Those books about corrupt governments in a dystopian future were not meant to be instruction manuals.
Signed,
A person who actually cares about her constitutional rights
If a girl character has all these awesome traits and very few weaknesses, she's a Mary Sue.
If a guy character has all these awesome traits and very few weaknesses, he's Superman.
Sexist double standard? Or just a coincidence?
For the record, I prefer characters with weaknesses other than kryptonite, but I think the war on Mary Sue is kind of annoying. It's like, if my character has even one cliched trait, she's a Mary Sue. Ugh.
As someone with Asperger's, I can say this: it does not necessarily offend me when people use words that may have referred to disabilities 100 years ago ("dumb," "idiot," etc). This is assuming you're not insulting a person for something out of their control.
What offends me is when people act like we don't matter. They say we're a burden on society. They expect us to conform to their extreme standard of "normal," while telling everyone else to express themselves. They speak of the possibility of eradicating Down Syndrome through selective abortion like they would talk about the polio vaccine. They forget that the bioethical issues they talk about involve people. And worst of all, people act on those beliefs. Which outrages me.
I'm all for gender equality, but... if the military draft becomes a thing within my lifetime, I'm going to move to another planet. That, or find some other way to avoid the draft.
In the first issue in volume three of Life Matters Journal, there's a really interesting article called "Reflections on the Women's Peace Encampment" that mentions this issue. Gender equality should be about unalienable rights, not equal misery. Including women in the draft would not be a victory for women's rights; it would be an act of force. Worse, it's a matter of life and death, both for the draftee and possibly the civilians associated with the other side.
I've decided that in 2019, I'm going to dress like my Killjoy OC and nothing will stop me! Anyone interested in joining me?
To anyone who thinks heavy metal is satanic just because it's loud, please read Psalm 150. It says we should praise God with stringed instruments and loud cymbals. Just saying. :)
"Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this." (Ecclesiastes 7:10)
Let that sink in, conservative Christians...
Look, I think the war on drugs is ridiculous, but you know what else is ridiculous? Acting like pot is harmless and/or the only way to have fun.
#IfIWereAStatist I'd ban most popular music.
#IfIWereAStatist I'd make it illegal for couples to go out in public until the honeymoon phase was over. Be glad that I'm not one to ban everything I dislike. Unlike some people I know...
#IfIWereAStatist I'd tax everyone so I could pay Gerard to have a concert in my area.
No comments:
Post a Comment