About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Fifty Shades of... Non-Aggression Principle Violations?

With the theatrical release of Fifty Shades of Grey being today, I have heard and read many different opinions. There seem to be three common opinions about this book/movie:
  1. Oh my gosh, I wish I had a relationship like that! I want a hot guy to dominate me! I can't believe Anastasia was so upset when (insert traumatic situation here)!
  2. Fifty Shades of Grey is harmful because it glamorizes BDSM.* If you like that stuff, you need psychological help. Even if it's consensual, it's still horrible.
  3. The relationship between Anastasia and Mr. Grey is clearly abusive. Healthy BDSM isn't like that at all.
The first two opinions, if acted on, would violate the Non-Aggression Principle. If the first opinion were acted on, it would give the "dominant" partner complete freedom to do whatever they want, even without the consent of the "submissive" partner. If the second opinion were acted on, it would take away even the personal freedom of adults who consent to the act. In both cases, the rights of a person or multiple people are violated.
The third opinion would allow consenting adults to do as they please, while understanding that the feelings of others should be respected.


*I've been spelling it wrong this whole time. Now I feel stupid. Actually, I feel even more stupid because I'm too young to be thinking about this stuff as deeply as I have been...

No comments:

Post a Comment