About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Autism Speaks, awesome people, and why awesome people support Autism Speaks

Okay, okay, enough with the poetry. I'm going to actually write something now.

I have over a million problems with Autism Speaks. It seems like they don't want to help people with autism, but rather, they want to cure it so that Autistic people won't be a burden on society. I say this because they have used words that make autism sound scary, because board members have said things about wanting their autistic children to die rather than have their autistic children live the rest of their life suffering (in other words, they want their children to die so that they won't have themselves live the rest of their lives suffering), and because they have tried to silence people who speak out against them, just to list a few things.
Here's the full transcript of their PSA "I Am Autism":
I am autism. I'm visible in your children. But if I can help it, I am invisible to you until it's too late. I know where you live. And guess what? I live there too. I hover around all of you. I know no color barrier, no religion, no morality, no currency. I speak your language fluently, and with every voice I take away, I acquire yet another language. I work very quickly. I work faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined. And if you are happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain. I don't sleep, so I make sure you don't either. I will make it virtually impossible for your family to easily attend a temple, a birthday party, a public park without a struggle, without embarrassment, without pain. You have no cure for me. Your scientists don't have the resources and I relish their desperation. Your neighbors are happier to pretend that I don't exist, of course, until it's their child. I am autism. I have no interest in right or wrong. I derive great pleasure out of your loneliness. I will fight to take away your hope. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams. I will make sure that every day you wake up, you will cry, wondering, "Who will take care of my child after I die?" And the truth is, I'm still winning. And you're scared. And you should be. I am autism. You ignored me. That was a mistake.
And to autism, I say, I am a father, a mother, a grandparent, brother, a sister. We will spend every waking hour trying to weaken you. We don't need sleep because we will not rest until you do. Family can be much stronger than autism ever anticipated, and we will not be intimidated by you, nor will the love and strength of my community. I am a parent riding towards you and you can push me off this horse time and time again but I will git et up,  climb back on, and ride on with the message. Autism, you forget who we are. You forget who you are dealing with. You forget the spirit of mothers and daughters and fathers and sons. We are the United Kingdom. The United States. China. Argentina. Russian. European Union. We are the United Nations. We are coming together in all climates. We call on all faiths. We search with technology and voodoo, prayer and herbs, kinetic studies, and a growing awareness you have never anticipated. We have had challenges, but we are the best when overcoming them. We speak the only language that matters—love for our children. Our capacity to love is greater than your capacity to overwhelm. Autism is naive. You are alone. We are a community of warriors. We have a voice. You think because some of our children cannot speak, we cannot hear them? That is autism's weakness. You think that because my child lives behind a wall, I am afraid to knock it down with my bare hands? You have not been properly introduced to this community of parents and grandparents, and siblings and friends, and schoolteachers and therapists, pediatricians and scientists. Autism if you are not scared, you should be. When you came for my child, you forgot. You came for me. Autism, are you listening?

This is my response to this garbage:
Look, Autism Speaks. I don't care who you are, but being an Aspie myself, and having an autistic brother, you sure don't speak for us. Yes, autism can be a challenge in many ways, but guess what? We're people, too. Do we really scare you? Would you really rather have me or my brother die? Would you really silence me for saying this? You call yourselves Autism Speaks, but you don't let us speak. You don't care about helping us, you just want to make your lives easier.
On the flip side, one of my former teachers has said to me that I have a beautiful mind, and that autism is a part of that. Now she does child and family advocacy and behavior consultation. She has similar views on autism as mine. She says that "invisible disabilities can be a beautiful gift, while at the same time create enormous struggles for the individual and families." She helps those with disabilities so they can live a good life and so they will have better behavior. Knowing her, when she helps people with disabilities, her intentions are not selfish, but she intends to help individuals with their struggles, and to help families if they are having struggles. She has said things about working with Autism Speaks in order to raise money for autism research. But she is far from selfish and she does not hate people with autism at all.
Perhaps Autism Speaks succeeds in one thing, and that is to gain followers. They make themselves seem like they care about people with autism, and many people believe them. But they really are a selfish organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment