Sooooo... A lot of feminists are complaining about how "first world problems" are trivialized (example: "why are you so against stereotypical portrayals of women in the media when women in the Middle East are being oppressed?"). Here are my thoughts on this:
It is good to speak out against things that are wrong, even if they aren't the most horrible things that could happen. It's good to criticize the media's portrayal of women, harmful messages about sexuality, everyday acts of discrimination, or whatever. The "first world" isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and it's good to acknowledge that.
It becomes a problem when people act like their problems are just as serious as things like violence and oppression. Calling a political decision you disagree with a "war on women" trivializes the truly horrible things that happen to women. It's also a problem when people ignore those who are struggling in other parts of the world. If modern feminism is so focused on intersectionality, why do mainstream feminists focus mostly on the status of middle-class American women?
Note: When I say I don't care about your private life, I am NOT saying
"tell me everything about your private live because I won't judge"; I am
saying "I really don't want to know about your private life." Learn the
difference.
Newsflash: people are individuals, not collective groups.
Can I just say I hate it when libertarians say bigoted things just so
they can complain about political correctness being a form of censorship
when people tell them that what they said was offensive? Just because I
hate censorship doesn't mean I think it's morally acceptable to say
bigoted things.
[I] will never read anything from Daily Mail, no matter how awesome the
story is. They committed the unpardonable sin of calling MCR a suicide
cult.
Students with disabilities (and even things like mental illnesses) have been taunted, stripped, and hit by their teachers.
This is not okay. I remember acting out in class when I was young.
Although I have had some very bad experimences with the public education
system, I have never experienced anything this horrible. When I hear or
read about this sort of thing, I can see myself in such a situation.
Thankfully, there are many people who care about my needs. Other people
don't have that.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that people with disabilities have rights and should be treated fairly.
How do I know if I'm being offensive or if people are just easily
offended? Seriously, I don't want to be mean to anyone, but some people
are offended by EVERYTHING, and I'm sick of having to censor things that
aren't even offensive.
(In reference to this picture) This is why we need government. Otherwise, people would swim in the grass.
Problems with being a libertarian in an authoritarian public school system:
1. When you say the taxes are too high, teachers are all like "if it
weren't for taxes, you wouldn't have (special education, healthcare,
roads, etc)."
2. The whole libertarian versus authoritarian
quadrant isn't included in the political spectrum they teach you about.
If you're neither conservative nor liberal, they assume you're a moderate.
3. You're taught all this propaganda rather than being taught useful information.
4. Your Economics teacher's philosophy is most likely a combination of socialism and crony capitalism.
5. People assume that if you're morally against something, you want it
to be illegal, and that if you want something to be legal, you think
it's morally right.
6. Health is less of a fact-based class and more of a way for the government to tell you what's right and wrong.
7. Teachers don't understand or care about you. They just want you to conform to their ideals.
8. If you question authority, people think you're crazy.
9. Political correctness is a higher priority than free speech, even if what you're saying isn't offensive.
10. When teachers let students make their own decisions for once,
majority rules and gangs up on the weird kid. And you're the weird kid.
No comments:
Post a Comment