About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Eff yeah! FACEBOOK STATUSES!!

Of all the posts in my Newsfeed, I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed by the easily offended SJWs or the xenophobic reactionaries.

I remember when people got all upset about the phrase "all lives matter" because it took away from the issue of racism. Now the tables have turned and people think it's offensive to acknowledge the horrible events in Paris without acknowledging every single horrible thing out there.
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with focusing on one injustice, nor is there anything wrong with looking at all of them. What is wrong is changing the subject when people are mourning over deaths. I mean, if your friend's grandmother was murdered, would you expect them to grieve every other murder that has happened? I don't think so.
Now, this doesn't mean we should avoid discussing injustices unrelated to the attacks in Paris. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't get on anyone's case for focusing on Paris for the time being.

Reactionary logic: Political correctness has gone insane. Anyone who isn't a white, able-bodied, heterosexual, cisgender man is inferior and should learn their place.
Social justice warrior logic: YOU JUST SAID YOU LIKE TO COOK MEXICAN FOOD??? OMIGOSH THAT IS AN OFFENSIVE MICROAGGRESSION!!! THAT'S CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE ADDED A TRIGGER WARNING!!!
Conclusion: We have to choose between censorship and absolute freedom to say offensive things with no social consequences. That's stupid.
In the middle of last night (or early this morning?), I couldn't remember if I was obsessed with Gerard Way or Johnny Depp. It was weird, like I was getting my teenage self confused with my pre-teenage self. Glitch in the matrix? Or just a really weird dream?

..Bullies find other reasons to be mean to people. Maybe someone has bad acne, or they have a disability, or they're overweight. Those things can't be changed with uniforms.
Female genital mutilation is a horrible, disgusting practice. And I wish people could discuss it without anyone saying "WELL, WHAT ABOUT CIRCUMCISION?" I'm not saying I support routine infant circumcision, and I can totally understand the bodily autonomy argument against it, but comparing it to FGM is petty and offensive. Most circumcised males can live a normal life, experience sexual pleasure, and not have related medical problems. This is not the case with FGM. The male equivalent of FGM would be castration, not circumcision. This is not a difficult concept. I'm not even saying I support circumcision. I'm just saying it's not the same as FGM! When will people learn this?
(On my most used words on Facebook) I'm surprised that "statist" and "libertarian" aren't shown...
Nope, America is being destroyed by authoritarians.
Ugh, I hate it when people do that. It's like, I get that I'm more privileged than you are, but that's not an excuse to be whiny and insufferable. I don't feel like I'm being oppressed or anything, but I'm sick of people twisting everything I say to make me sound racist, cissexist, or heterosexist. If I wear a Dia de los Muertos shirt or Harajuku fashion, people think that's racist, and if I say it's not, they get mad at me. I cannot count the number of times I have witnessed a trans person imply that cisgender people are "boring," and while I am aware of my cisgender privilege, I get annoyed and somewhat offended when people do that because there are infinitely many ways to be of any gender, and to imply that my gender defines me is pretty backwards (anyone who knows me is aware that I am anything but boring). Besides it validates the myth that teenagers are only identifying as trans because it's trendy, and that will just make it more difficult for people who are actually struggling with their gender identity to be taken seriously. If you're trans, that's cool, but it doesn't make you some special snowflake, as if there is only one way for a snowflake to be special. We're all unique, so why compete over who is more unique? I could brag about how I'm a special snowflake because I'm autistic, and while I consider that an important part of my identity, I'm not going to call someone "boring" just because they're neurotypical. Fighting for my rights should not mean bringing another person down.
(The original post used "trans*" instead of "trans," and someone got on my case because that's problematic.)
Here's what I've learned from this: if someone calls me racist, cissexist, or heterosexist, I should take it as a compliment because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.
I don't like [Ben Carson or Barack Obama]. That must make me super racist, according to that logic [that disliking politicians who happen to be black is racist].

If a white person is getting all the credit for something that originated in a culture that wasn't their own, that's a problem. If a white person is doing something that originated in a culture that wasn't their own, it's cultural exchange. I mean, it was wrong that Elvis got all the credit for rock and roll when black musicians were extremely influential, but that doesn't mean it was wrong for Elvis to make music of that genre. I bet you a million dollars that your favorite musician stole at least some ideas from black musicians. If you avoided cultural exchange completely, you wouldn't be able to shop, brush your teeth, or count. Cultural exchange is beautiful. Without it, the world would be a boring place. Besides, we're already so divided, and we need to realize that we are not defined by our ethnicity or the culture associated with it. This isn't about being "colorblind" and ignoring racism; it's about realizing we shouldn't be hyper-focused on someone's skin color or cultural background. That's only part of one's identity. Before anything else, we are all different people. We shouldn't be divided into collective groups to the point that they define us as people. We are all the same in that we are human, but since no two people are exactly the same, there is no reason to define people entirely by the group(s) they fall under. So just let us be ourselves.

I swear, if they don't get a good presidential candidate by next November, I might have to do a write-in vote for Don Inferno.

Headline: "Support for abortion highest in two years!"
Is this meant to convince me to change my opinion? 'Cause it isn't working. I've never been one to be mainstream. *Insert picture of me in hipster glasses here*
Good things about the dark side of the force: Red lightsabers and the ability to shoot lightning out of your fingers
Bad things about the dark side: Statism

"You will distract the boys" is a terrible argument for school dress codes. I mean, by that logic, all attractive people should be sent home from school, regardless of what they're wearing. And since beauty is subjective, chances are everyone will have at least one admirer, so nobody will be allowed to go to school.
So next time you argue for school dress codes, your argument should be "it's not decent to show off your butt in school." That's a pretty compelling argument, and it goes for people of all genders.
"Birth control is an abomination! Fertility is a gift, not a disease!"
Well, yeah, fertility is awesome, but you know what's even more important? Individual rights. Fertility isn't a disease, but if someone wants to have control over it, let them.
Note: my profile picture is not meant to imply that I'm anything like that sith lord with the dorky hairstyle. (Referring to Kylo Ren)

I don't want to clean up anyone's vomit... if they got drunk, it's their job to clean it up!
"When I was born, the doctor must have stamped 'National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People' on my forehead; a stamp visible only to my teachers. The majority of my teachers treat me as if I, and I alone, hold the answers to the mysterious creatures that African Americans are, like I’m the Rosetta Stone of black people... Maybe I am just looking at this all wrong, maybe I should feel complimented. I mean, I am being trusted to carry the weight of millions of people’s voices, right? Wrong! I don’t feel complimented. How the hell should I know what the black perspective is on Affirmative Action or The Color Purple? What is it, magic? Black people read, and poof, we miraculously come to the same conclusion? The only opinion I can give with some degree of certainty is my own." --An excerpt from The Freedom Writers Diary
I read this in school a while back, and as shocking as this may sound, I was reminded of the so-called social justice warriors. Why? Oh, little comments like "conservative women are voting against themselves," the attitude that all people of color should be offended by "cultural appropriation" (read: everything)... you know, that sort of thing. Newsflash: people's opinions are not defined by their race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or anything like that! While those may be factors in influencing their opinions, different people will come to different conclusions. I mean, most women's rights groups do not speak for me, and I'm still an empowered woman. But many empowered women feel differently. People are individuals! Deal with it!
(Note: this excludes things like genocide and slavery... I can say with certainty that those things are bad for those affected.)
"Baby it's cold outside." That's why I'm wearing a jacket, bonehead!
I am so tempted to ask a guy in one of my classes named Mitchell why he isn't Gerard's cat.
Gerard Way just got a cat. If I see them together, I'll die of cuteness overload.
When I talk about women being oppressed in third world countries, I am not doing it to stop you from speaking out for free birth control. I am doing it because calling every darn thing a "war on women" is offensive, no matter what your views are.
Which president was least guilty?
Lincoln. 'Cause he's in a cent.
Have people seriously started liking Justin Bieber again?? Ugh.
Feminists before 9/11: "Women in the Middle East are treated horribly! This must end!"
Feminists after 9/11: *Silence on this particular issue because they don't want to be seen as "Islamophobic" or whatever*
Look, I may not support the extreme actions made by the government in response to 9/11 (war, mass surveillance, TSA, etc), but I also believe that it's wrong to ignore those who need our help the most. Want to talk about how bad white feminism is? Then start caring about women living in parts of the world that AREN'T the United States, Canada, or Europe!!
Why is it that the people you have the most in common with are always people you know through the Internet? Or rather, why does it have to be this way?
There was this one song I used to kind of like that I will not name for the sake of keeping my dignity. Then I saw the music video, and realized what the song was meant to be, and I stopped liking it. Not because the video was inappropriate, but because they were rocking out when the music itself didn't rock.
If there's another draft, I'm moving to outer space. That is, if I'm not considered a conscientious objector...
I think it looks stupid when people wear their pants really low. I also think it's stupid to legislate against stupidity.
Gosh, I remember the days when online games and virtual worlds were free. Now you have to pay actual money for all the cool items. And the prices are ridiculous. I mean, the "best deal" can be, like, $60 a year! The only website I know of that is reasonable about their pricing is DollDivine.
Maybe I should just stick to actually designing fashions on paper instead of customizing them online...

Me: *Types in a way that is somewhat grammatically correct*
Immature preteens: "omg u type like my mom lol"
Do they seriously think my feelings are going to be hurt by someone with a brain the size of a grain of sand?

Tip for anyone who cares about social justice: choose your battles. Stop reprimanding people for every little thing they say. Don't call something a "microaggression" when it's really just a social mistake. Most importantly, have a sense of humor.
I really wish I had more opportunities to advocate for causes I care about. You know, opportunities that do not involve traveling to Washington DC during finals week. But it's so difficult, especially for political events, since my ideology isn't really accepted by any political group (yes, including libertarians). Even if they're focused on a single issue, there's a lot of in-fighting, and I don't think I'd fit in. And the less controversial issues that I care strongly about... well, let's just say that I don't want to accidentally come across images relating to some of those topics.
Why are you boycotting the Salvation Army? They're a great charity! Anti-gay discrimination is only 3% of what they do! Now watch as poor people start dying, and it will be all your fault!
This is exactly how you sound when you try to defend Planned Parenthood.
If you seriously think women can't live without Planned Parenthood, then you need to ditch that mentality. Seriously, there are plenty of great ways to get healthcare that aren't Planned Parenthood. Wanting to defund Planned Parenthood is not the same as wanting to watch people suffer. Heck, it's not even the same as opposing Planned Parenthood because there's always PRIVATE CHARITY. Whether you support government-funded healthcare or not, private charity is great. If you support Planned Parenthood, how about giving them a donation rather than whining about those "anti-choice fanatics" who want to take away your oh-so-precious "right" to have a third-trimester abortion for free? Of course, giving money to a similar organization minus the unethical aspects would be better, but if Planned Parenthood's going to get money, it shouldn't be from people who oppose them. You're always saying "if you don't like abortion, you shouldn't get one," but guess what? Forcing us to pay for them is just as bad. I don't care if it's only 3% of what they do. I'm not going to support ANY organization that kills ANYONE, even if they do a lot of good otherwise. Unless you somehow convince us that unborn children aren't people, you're not going to change anyone's mind.
And if you want to comment that I'm an anti-choice religious extremist, please unfriend me now because that's not true and you should know it.
Women's magazine logic: Pro-lifers are misogynists, but we totally love Christian Grey.

It's like, [women's magazines are] okay with men coercing women to engage in sexual activities they dislike, but heaven forbid they ban abortion in the third trimester...
I didn't know they were teaching goats to sing "Silent Night!"
Okay, Mom made a good point that maybe Stevie Nicks was trying to recreate the sounds the goats may have made in the stable when Jesus was born. Now I see what she was trying to do.
Yeah, it is kind of unfair that many people who want to get pregnant can't while many people are trying to control their fertility so they aren't always having babies. But that doesn't mean it's wrong to use birth control. I mean, if someone who loved chocolate became allergic to it, does that mean people who don't like chocolate should learn to enjoy it because some people can't eat it?
And again, the military is trying to recruit me... Awkward... O____o

Every time you use a slur against the opposing side of the abortion debate, I get more proof that you're an insufferable idiot.

But seriously. I may oppose abortion, but I'm not going to support every single person who is against Planned Parenthood, either. I don't condone violence against people who work at abortion facilities. And I am extremely disturbed by anyone who does.

A pro-life libertarian Facebook page just brought up this point: if violence in response to violence is not a violation of the non-aggression principle, then why is it wrong to respond violently to abortion clinic workers?
Here's my answer: The non-aggression principle doesn't condone killing as revenge; only for defense. It's the difference between shooting someone who just killed your friend and shooting someone as they are trying to kill your friend to prevent your friend from dying. Also, violence happens ALL THE TIME, and it would be both unrealistic and wrong to respond violently every time something bad happens. Otherwise, libertarians would be much more hawkish. Just saying.

I hate King David. He's a murderer, a rapist, and an all-around terrible person. And I'm not just saying that because of the whole Bath-sheba thing...

"Demi Lovato wears flapper dress."
Are people really that ignorant about 1920's fashion? Or do they not know the difference between dresses and hairstyles? I mean, her hairstyle was pretty 1920's, but her dress? Not so much.

If the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church are enough to make you hate Christianity as a whole, but you're quick to say "not all Muslims are terrorists," then you're a hypocrite. I mean, most of your complaints about Christianity are true about Islam, too. As long as you're going to wrongfully judge an entire religion by its extremists, you might as well be consistent about it. Just saying.

If any of you are confused as to why I'm more tolerant of sexual content in some books than others, it's for the same reason I wouldn't pay twenty dollars for a piece of crap, but I'd pay the same amount of money for a Gerard Way shirt.

I don't even like Taylor Swift, but I feel like she should have a song to go with the mood I'm feeling right now.
And no, I did not just break up with someone.

Dear Facebook,
No, liking a post about Nigeria banning FGM doesn't mean I'm going to support Planned Parenthood. Opposing FGM isn't just for left-wing pro-choice feminists; it's for anyone and everyone who is a decent person.
Sincerely,
A decent person

If this generation is the most pro-life and the least religious, then why have I never met a nonreligious pro-life teenager outside the Internet? ‪#‎ProLifeGenerationMyButt‬
Oh wait. It's all the media's fault for portraying us as religious fanatics. And it's the religious fanatics' fault for validating those stereotypes! Seriously, religious arguments aren't going to convince nonreligious people to keep their babies.
[The new Star Wars movie] was pretty good! Except for Kylo Ren's dorky hairstyle.
If I had more money (and space in my house), I'd collect creepy dolls. Yeah, I'm morbid.
I understand taxes... I understand that it's a trick to get you thrown in jail.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg... A lot of things Jesus says should end in "oooooh! BURN!"

I'm thankful for Gerard Way (and mashed potatoes and stuffing and all that good Thanksgiving dinner stuff). Not that I'm eating Gerard for dinner tonight, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment