Defending NSA surveillance because it doesn't bother you personally is like defending censorship because you aren't going to say that anyway.
It's a good thing I'm not God, because if I were, I would've destroyed the whole world in a fit of rage by now.
Okay, fine, I'd only destroy the terrible people, like murderers, rapists, corrupt government leaders, child abusers, terrorists, the Taliban, ISIS, doctors who break the Hippocratic oath, people who practice FGM, and so on, but that would still mean killing A LOT of people.
Of course, I do not know everything, I believe in the dignity of ALL human life, I believe people have the chance of redemption, and I'm not God, so I guess I'll support people who solve these problems nonviolently.
Okay, fine, I'd only destroy the terrible people, like murderers, rapists, corrupt government leaders, child abusers, terrorists, the Taliban, ISIS, doctors who break the Hippocratic oath, people who practice FGM, and so on, but that would still mean killing A LOT of people.
Of course, I do not know everything, I believe in the dignity of ALL human life, I believe people have the chance of redemption, and I'm not God, so I guess I'll support people who solve these problems nonviolently.
In other words, it's really difficult to follow the Non-Aggression Principle and the Consistent Life Ethic if your instinct is to respond violently to conflict. It's even harder with everyday things. I cannot count how many times I have violated the Non-Aggression Principle. I wish I could be perfect in that area.
Good things about New Year's:
1. Food
2. Sparkling apple cider
Bad things about New Year's:
1. Socializing
2. Being reminded that there's no hope for humanity while hearing about what was popular in 2015
3. Just about everything else
1. Food
2. Sparkling apple cider
Bad things about New Year's:
1. Socializing
2. Being reminded that there's no hope for humanity while hearing about what was popular in 2015
3. Just about everything else
I understand why I as a white person can't say the n-word. And I accept that.
But if any of those social justice warriors try to take away my clothes and my food because I'm white, I will shoot them with my Nerf gun, assuming they haven't taken that away, too.
But if any of those social justice warriors try to take away my clothes and my food because I'm white, I will shoot them with my Nerf gun, assuming they haven't taken that away, too.
So apparently it's racist for me to eat Indian food, wear my favorite cardigan (it has cat sugar skulls on it), and listen to j-rock. Even more racist than avoiding that stuff because it's "weird." Seriously, what they call "cultural appropriation" is often what brings people together. I mean, you can't hate someone who made your favorite food for you, right?
As someone with Asperger's, I feel very strongly about disability rights, but even that movement doesn't speak for me all the time. I'm not offended by the words "stupid" and idiot" (unless they're aimed directly at me or something I care about), I dislike the censorship that comes with trigger warnings (in fact, I'm triggered by trigger warnings), I'm not bothered by The Mighty, I'm not bothered by all "inspiration porn" (although it is offensive to act like people wouldn't be worth as much if they weren't "inspirational"), and I support private charity as opposed to government welfare. Discrimination is very real, but I think people focus too much on the tiniest "microaggressions" when we face problems that are so much greater.
I think schools should make an effort to hire interesting teachers to teach economics classes (yes, it is possible). Seriously, there are entire generations who don't even know basic economics, and I think more people would know if they were actually paying attention in class, and maybe they'd pay more attention in class if their teachers weren't so boring! #NoWonderMyGenerationDoesntUnderstandEcon omics
(After reading a comment that it's not just my generation) Not to mention those politicians who think taxing hospitals will make healthcare affordable...
Part of me loves my hair and wants to keep it that way. The other part of me wants to cut it to a reasonable length and dye it some crazy color.
I got a nerf gun for Christmas. *Insert comment about gun ownership rights here*
So... this morning, I (finally) finished reading Pro-Life Feminism: Yesterday and Today. It was a lot of reading, and I spent long periods of time not reading it, but it was quite interesting. If you're interested in learning about the subject (or are totally confused about how pro-life feminism is even possible), I highly recommend it.
On Christmas, I was the only one who didn't get a PS4 video game. But somehow, I managed to get something even geekier: Jan Svankmajer's Alice on Blu-Ray.
Unfortunately, I don't think that even the nerdiest people I know would want to watch that movie with me...
Unfortunately, I don't think that even the nerdiest people I know would want to watch that movie with me...
I wish I could be paid for obsessing over Gerard Way.
I can normally accept people with opinions that differ from mine. But if you are the type of person who thinks the world would be better off if all people with disabilities were aborted, I will think of you the same way I think of the KKK.
(Sharing "X-Mess Detritus") So... if we give materialistic gifts, Gerard Way will be the narrator? Awesome!!
(Commenting on a post about Atefeh Rajabi) This is horrifying. Now I want the mainstream feminists to tell me more about how they're being oppressed by even the most minor restrictions on abortion. But seriously, what happened to this girl is part of the real war on women, and it needs to end.
Well, on an individual level, [women] may face all sorts of problems that are usually associated with third-world countries. As a whole, though, I think objectification and not being seen as individuals are problems, along with society's glamorization of sexual abuse. Most of these problems are cultural, though, and I would not say there's a "war on women" in America the same way there is in, say, Saudia Arabia. But sexism certainly exists in America.
No comments:
Post a Comment