About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Monday, July 6, 2015

Eff yeah! More awesome Facebook quotes!

It's good to criticize sexism that goes on in the Western world. I do it all the time.
Here's what's annoying, petty, and even offensive:
1. Claiming that every little thing you disagree with is oppression.
2. Whining that you're being oppressed when there's no aggression involved.
3. Reprimanding us for even mentioning that there are women being oppressed in other countries! Look, I'm not doing it every time someone brings up a problem that goes on in America ("Who cares about the media's portrayal of women when men can abuse women in the Middle East and get away with it?"). That would be ridiculous. It's when you start calling something a "war on women" or whatnot when there's no aggression involved that I feel the need to say "yeah, try telling that to a survivor of (insert horrible injustice here) and see how that goes."
4. Accusing us of acting like Western culture is always automatically superior because we're racist or something. This isn't about thinking the first world is automatically "superior"; this is about protesting human rights violations! For example, FGM is a pretty big problem in the UK right now, and I'm as upset about it as I am when it happens to women in Egypt. If any culture is violating the rights of individuals, it is something that should be criticized.
5. Caring ONLY about problems that are common in the first world. For example, in my experience with mainstream feminism, I have heard more complaints about anti-abortion laws (yeah, I know I'm pro-life, but let's ignore that for the sake of argument) in other countries than, say, female genital mutilation. Of course, that's because mainstream feminists are more likely to encounter anti-abortion laws. But it's not wrong to protest something you haven't personally experienced. Does one have to be on death row to oppose capital punishment? Heck, does someone have to be dead in order to oppose capital punishment? Of course not. Even if "third world" problems aren't what you're focused on ending, they should still be kept in perspective.


I find it kind of funny that it's illegal to use certain fireworks when we celebrate our freedom. xD

To anyone who says it's selfish to choose not to raise children:
What's selfish is when people neglect, abuse, or kill an already existing child in order to live the life they want to live. Are you selfish just because you don't work at the homeless shelter full time? There are a million ways to do good in the world. And frankly, if I ever had children, I'd go crazy from the lack of sleep and time to myself, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

I hate how women are sexually objectified, but people are weirded out by female sexuality a lot more than they are by male sexuality.
And this is not coming from someone whose advocacy revolves around sex positivity. It's coming from someone who is just really sick of misogyny and double standards.

(Referring to a Twitter Q&A with E.L. James) I KNEW IT!!! Just like when Robin Thicke did the same thing!! They both deserve it; they both make all their money by creating misogynistic, pro-rape media.
Here's what I would have asked:
"Who or what brainwashed you into thinking this crap is sexy or romantic??"
"In your next book, can you kill that creep off? He's haunting my nightmares!!"
"While you're at it, can you make sure she gets access to a good psychologist?"
"Why do all my favorite characters get killed off, and then my least favorite characters live?"
"If I give you a chance to redeem yourself, write an apology, and donate the money you made to a domestic violence shelter, would you do it?"
Unfortunately, the Robin Thicke Q&A was what made me decide to leave Twitter... My questions got a little out of hand...


Prescribed gender roles suck. Let people be individuals.

So... let me get this straight... he rapes women, he's a total sadist (in all meanings of the word), he's a misogynist, and... HE KILLED MUFASA!!! He's worse than I thought!!
(Referring to this, BTW)

No comments:

Post a Comment