About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Male privilege in the circumcision debate

Trigger warning: Descriptions of female genital mutilation

First of all, I'd like to say that I am not taking a stance on male circumcision. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this issue. I think I'm leaning slightly more towards disagreeing with male infant circumcision, but mostly because I tend to think people should have a choice about what happens to their body.
However, some of the arguments against male circumcision are extremely offensive when considering how horrible female genital mutilation is. People act as if the two are equally wrong for the same reasons ("if you're against female genital mutilation, why do you support male circumcision?"), even though they are really very different. There are the obvious anatomical differences between male and female genitalia that make the effects different, so males who are circumcised can live normal lives (assuming there wasn't some horrible mistake made), while female genital mutilation leads to serious health problems, and even death. There are also some cases where male circumcision is medically necessary. That is not the case with female genital mutilation. Also, the cultures that practice male circumcision are not doing it to deprive men of sexual pleasure or make their lives miserable. Female genital mutilation is a horribly misogynistic practice that is meant to deprive women of sexual pleasure (the comments made by the people mentioned in the article are sickening).
What's also sickening is that people spend more time advocating against male circumcision than female genital mutilation. Girls everywhere are victims of genital mutilation, but no one seems to care enough to say or do anything about it, but they care enough to say or do things to end male circumcision. Maybe it's because male circumcision is more common in the areas in which these people live, but people should not forget that people in other countries are suffering. Or maybe it's because talking about penises is more socially acceptable than talking about clitorises, which kinda annoys me (not that I go around talking about genitalia in mixed company or anything). Or maybe it's because male circumcision is more debatable (any decent person would agree that female genital mutilation is horrible). Or maybe it's because female genital mutilation is so horrible that people try to put it out of their minds.
I guess I'm basically trying to say this: if you're going to speak out against the circumcision of baby boys, realize that it isn't equivalent to female genital mutilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment