About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Intolerance, and the real war on women

There's a lot of horrible stuff in the news about women in other countries being abused, raped, tortured, and killed. It makes me sick that such horrible things happen to women.
Unfortunately, not many people are aware of these injustices, and not many people seem to be passionate about them. If I mention those things, people say "that's their culture" and accuse me of being "intolerant." Darn right I'm intolerant. If their culture includes rape, female genital mutilation, child marriages, and cruel punishments, I'm proud to be intolerant.
I remember learning about Islam and the Middle East in class and I said that Sharia Law was "a stupid law that mixes religion and politics." That did not go over very well with my teacher. Thing is, Sharia Law is oppressive. Many liberals who are afraid of being Islamophobic try to make it sound better than it really is, but it really is a horrible thing when forced upon people.
When people talk about the "war on women," they're usually talking about limited access to abortion and birth control. That is petty and even offensive, considering the horrible things that happen to women. I've even noticed that on NOW's official website, reproductive rights is listed before ending violence against women on the list of issues that the organization focuses on. Try telling a woman in Afghanistan that you're being oppressed because you don't get free birth control, and see how well that goes.
If you don't believe that women should be oppressed in the name of religion, please be consistent. If it's wrong for Christians to be against premarital sex, it should be even more wrong for extremist Muslim leaders to kill women for having premarital sex. If it's wrong for laws to restrict abortions, it should be wrong for governments to force women to have abortions. Injustice exists everywhere (I personally don't consider lack of abortion access to be an injustice, but that's another story), and there are nutjobs in every religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment