I have Asperger's. I'm also prone to violence. Many autism advocacy groups are trying to show the world that not all people with autism are violent, which is a good thing, because not all people with autism are violent. However, it is also important to advocate for people with autism who are prone to violence, in a way that helps them to become better people.
I've said before that I used to hit my teachers in school. Was autism a contributing factor in this? Probably, but not entirely. I mean, there are plenty of people with autism who are nonviolent, so obviously autism =/= violence. However, autism can be a contributing factor in many things that may lead to violence. Not all of this is necessarily the autistic individual's fault; sometimes it's partly about how people treated them. Rather than curing autism, people should be kind to those with autism and help them to become better people.
I am autistic and prone to violence. I am not a bad person. My intentions are good. Yes, I make mistakes. Yes, I need help sometimes. Yes, autism can be a struggle. But deep down, I would not change myself even if it meant everyone would like me.
No comments:
Post a Comment