I am totally, completely, 100% for LGBT rights, as I may have mentioned. I believe that we should all be treated equal, regardless of race, gender, religion, or, in this case, sexual orientation. I do not believe that it's necessarily a sin to be in a relationship with someone of the same gender.
My religion, on the other hand, is against "acting on your gayness" as my mom and I refer to it as, so sometimes I feel kind of weird when I hear people at church saying things along the lines of "homosexuality is a sin." I want to tell them that I disagree, but I don't want to be more alienated than I already am.
If there is one thing that my parents (mainly my dad) and I disagree on, it's gay marriage. However, they have perfectly legit arguments. My parents both have gay friends and aren't homophobic. Although I remain to disagree with them, I'd like to talk a bit about their arguments, how I feel about those arguments, and some things I'd like to say but don't say because I don't want anyone to think I'm homophobic.
A common argument that my dad has is freedom of speech and religion. There have been many cases where people have been sued for expressing feelings that people thought were homophobic. Although I disagree with people who believe homosexuality is a sin, it is extreme to make laws against this kind of stuff. People should be able to say what they want, even if what they're saying or doing is offensive. Of course, people shouldn't be fired from their job because they're gay and they should totally be allowed to visit their partners in the hospital, for example. It's important to understand the difference between freedom of expression and doing damaging things. However, I believe that maybe we can find a way to allow same-sex marriage without letting it get in the way of religious freedom.
As for the bible, I do not take the bible completely literally. There's a chance that those verses may not have been translated correctly or that we just interpret those verses as being anti-gay. There's a bunch of stuff in the bible that people don't pay attention to, like stoning women to death for having sex outside of marriage. I believe that, if anything, the bible is really talking about casually having sex with people of the same gender. I know that back in those days, men would have sex with other men just for the sake of it. That, in my opinion, is a sin. Sex should be only between people who really truly love each other, preferably married people (if they are allowed to get married). It should not be casual.
Another thing that bothers me is when people act like one-sided lust is love. The reason I bring that up is because in many yaoi series (for those of you who don't know, yaoi is basically this Japanese porn/manga where two guys fall in love and there's a lot of sex and crap) sex is considered a measure of passion and therefore if the seme (top) rapes the uke (bottom), the uke forgives the seme and they just have sex with each other and all that. Rape is not sexy. If you really loved someone, you would not hurt them like that. How is guys raping other guys attractive? Rape is an awful, evil thing. One-sided lust is a sin. Real, true love is far from sinful. True love is not the same thing as one-sided lust and I think the world needs to know that.
Something else that bothers me is when people act like being gay is the only thing that makes people different. Guess what people? There are MANY things that make people unique, and being gay/lesbian/bisexual/etc is only one of them. I'm honestly not sure what my sexuality is, but there are many things that make me different that have nothing to do with who I'm sexually attracted to.
No comments:
Post a Comment