You may have heard the song "SING." It goes something like "Sing it out, boy, you got to see what tomorrow brings/Sing it out girl, you got to be what tomorrow needs/For every time, that they want to count you out/Use your voice, every single time you open up your mouth." It's by My Chemical Romance (AKA AWESOMEST BAND EVER!!!), and it's gotten pretty popular since Glee covered it. However, it has also caused controversy. See, Glenn Beck said that it was basically telling kids to disobey their parents and do whatever they want. He also said it was a form of propaganda telling kids to destroy things and that it's "an anthem saying 'join us.'" Other people have said that it's saying "big business is bad." Here are my opinions:
I love this song. I like the message that you should "sing it out," I feel like it means you should speak your mind. And I think it's good to speak your mind. I have not been offended by this song, and neither have my parents. About the whole thing about it telling kids to do bad things, it's not. Gerard Way (the lead singer) has advocated against teen violence many times, such as through My Chemical Romance's song "Teenagers." Though "Teenagers" may say "sh*t" at least five times, the real meaning behind it is about teen violence. Not only that, but they made a remake of the song called "Sing It For Japan" and donated the money earned to help Japan recover from the earthquake, tell teenagers to be themselves, and saved countless peoples' lives (well, those people who's lives were saved by My Chemical Romance played a huge part in it by staying strong, but still). And people dare to call My Chemical Romance a bad influence? What the heck people?
Of course, this is not the first time MCR (can I call it that?) has caused controversy. There was a girl who committed suicide, and people linked MCR to her suicide. I don't really need to explain this, because I have already talked about how MCR is actually an empowering, awesome band. Look past their dark-sounding music. Look past the eyeliner and strange outfits. Look past the hairstyles of the band members. You don't even have to like their music. Just realize that MCR is not doing anything bad. They may be alternative, but they're not harmful; there's a difference.
References:
http://www.alternativeaddiction.com/musicnews/article/2105/MCRs-Sing-Criticized-By-Glenn-Beck
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1663052/my-chemical-romance-gerard-way-glenn-beck.jhtml
http://www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/reality/sing-today-anarchy-tomorrow/article_7ce243f3-1470-5fd4-b02a-ad649dce9ad0.html
http://www.imnotokay.net/board/topic/53683/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Chemical_Romance#Controversy_and_.22emo.22_label
No comments:
Post a Comment