About me

Warning: This blog is mainly about my views on issues relating to liberty, disability rights, women's rights, the non-aggression principle, and the consistent life ethic. This blog also contains artwork, satire, and lists of awesome music and movies. Many of the things I post will be controversial, meaningful, or hilarious. For a more in-depth description, click here.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

More thoughts on Gerard Way and the war on drugs


www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/gerard-way-talks-drugs-bust-30711235.html


I think Gerard Way might be one of the most significant reasons why I strongly oppose the war on drugs. When I was younger, I had a tendency to think that people who used drugs were just trying to rebel for the sake of rebellion. When I turned twelve, I started listening to some MCR, and I eventually developed a crush on Gerard. I was scared to like him because I assumed he enjoyed using drugs, and that he didn't want to change. I later found out that he had been sober for a long time, and I learned his incredibly moving story, and that he said some really inspirational stuff. I began to wonder what would have happened if he was caught using drugs. What if he had been arrested? It would be horrible, for so many reasons (here's a blog post I wrote that's related to this). When I found out about his relapses, I was distressed. I hope that he stays sober, and I've even prayed for his well-being. Learning that he had a few run-ins with the cops as a teenager made me even more terrified for him. I don't want him to relapse again. The harm he did to himself when using drugs is horrible enough; just think about how much more horrible it would be if he got into trouble with the law. It's not a war on drugs. It's a war on people. People who are already miserable enough as is. People with great potential. And it's even worse for the poor. Gerard Way at least has money so he can get help. The poor aren't so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment